Sunday, September 30, 2007

Vanity Fair Funk


So, I'm reading my October issue of Vanity Fair - and I'm excited about it for a couple of reasons. 1) Nicole Kidman is on the cover (although she's flashing her brassiere in a dubious cover shot). I've been a fan on Ms. Kidman for some time, although lately her film choices have really tried my patience. Perhaps she'll recover for the adaptation of The Golden Compass coming out this fall.
2) There is an excerpt from David Halberstam's book on MacArthur's Korean War strategy, The Coldest Winter. This turned out to be Halberstam's last book - he died tragically in a car accident in April. More on that in a post to come, but back to Nicole.

The claim is that Ms. Kidman bares all in the interview- and I'm sorry to report that she does not (it's not available online). I got the distinct impression that she didn't want to "bare all". Not that I blame her; who among us would relish such an opportunity? Nevertheless, here she is, and here we are reading the article. The interview dwelt on her life post-Cruise, aspects of which she didn't want to discuss. So absent of juicy gossip, why not talk about her career, her acting, her process - she's an Oscar winning actress, for God's sake. Frankly, I was bored - and I didn't expect to be. And the spread was dull, too - Nicole in a swimsuit, Nicole on a boat, Nicole looking intensely into the camera, quelle snore. Where's the style and panache? It was very meh.

No comments: